Sunday 5 June 2011

National Forest Walks - Calke Abbey


This is the route I was researching an extension to last Friday - artwork fresh off the press this morning.

Although I often start this from the car park near the reservoir (with stunning views), my guides tend to start from the best place for public transport, in this case Ticknall. But this does mean that you get to walk the length of the drive at the beginning, setting the scene properly for the stunning Calke Abbey Estate, with its majestic oaks, including the "Old Man of Calke", a venerable specimen at least 1000 years old. Calke itself is a National Trust premier site, a treasure-trove of a house, well worth a tour. The walk circuits the estate, including the deer park with Red and Fallow deer, ancient woodlands and farmland - a really good 5.1 mile (8.2km) amble on a fine afternoon. Here's one of the photos I took on Friday that I'll be using to illustrate the guide:



The guide is one of ten fully-illustrated walking guides that I'm currently working up, packed with interesting snippets and useful information, to put on sale for visitors to the National Forest. Each guide is OS map size (21cm x 13cm, so they fit in map pockets in jackets), printed in full colour, and laminated for durability.

If you would like to try out any of my routes (watch out for more appearing here) please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment